Sunday, January 9, 2011

The List

I once thought that resolutions, at least for me, were a waste of time.  Then I came across a years-old list of personal resolutions that I had no memory "working on" yet, surprisingly, nearly every one of the items on the list I could now check off.  How did that happen?  I'm not sure.  However, I now no longer feel badly about making a list that will certainly have stops, starts, sputters and crashy-burns.  Someday, I know I will check off each item and wonder how in the world it happened.

This year, my "resolutions" include a list of things I want to do, not just stop, or start or be.  It's a long list that I've asked the Lord to use for His glory although not everything on the list seems "spiritual."  Let's see what happens.  I'll be blogging this year on the Missional Theophanies or "God Encounters" as I look to serve Him on this very eclectic mission field that is my life.

As things change or are accomplished, I will update the list on the blog.  I'm looking forward to seeing what this year holds or, rather, what God holds in His hands for me.

Behold the list for 2011 ... in no particular order of importance ...
  1. Memorize and play 10 Piano Pieces
  2. Study Isaiah with my mentor and continue being mentored
  3. Lose 70 pounds
  4. Take hip hop lessons
  5. Sing in the choir
  6. Study and teach a lesson from the Book of Ruth
  7. Teach inductive Bible study methods at "Friday Dinner"
  8. Learn to Sketch
  9. Skate at Millennium Park
  10. Learn ASL with my family
  11. Climb a rock wall
  12. Go kayaking
  13. Get published
  14. Complete a 5K
  15. Cook dinner for all my kids at the same time
  16. Memorize 1 Peter
  17. Paint my bedroom
  18. Take ballet lessons
  19. Take cooking lessons and master knife skills
  20. Act in a drama
  21. Try Sushi
  22. Go to the Shedd Acquarium
  23. Prepare an entire Indian Meal
  24. Get a new sari
  25. Go fishing
  26. Go backpacking
  27. Take a silent retreat
  28. Go camping
  29. Plant roses
  30. Plant an herb garden
  31. Finish Beth's afghan
  32. Play percussion at church
  33. Write a blog
  34. Get a makeover after 30 pounds and again at 60
  35. Go swimming with the Belugas
  36. Make Lobster for Dan
  37. Take concrete steps to finish my degree
  38. Spiritually franchise Friday Dinners
  39. Learn French
  40. Begin Planning a trip to India
  41. Take a Spin Class with Nicole and survive
  42. Remodel the house out and up
  43. Build a greenhouse
  44. Clean my garage
  45. Write a book
  46. Rent a boat and cruise down the Mississippi River
  47. Renew my passport
  48. Host an open house for neighbors and learn the names of every neighbor on my block
  49. Plan a block party with my neighbors
  50. Host a seeker's Bible study with my neighbors
  51. Go on a picnic somewhere exotic
  52. Go to Ravinia with Dan
  53. Take Dan to the Sears Tower
  54. Visit S and E
  55. Visit J and J in Boston
  56. Build a deck/porch to visit with my neighbors
  57. Teach someone (who has already asked me) how to swim
  58. Build a lifesize Nativity
  59. Go to the Ann Arbor Art Fair (July 20-23, 2011)
  60. Find a cello for for a friend.
  61. Go to a Bed & Breakfast for the weekend with my girlfriends
  62. Learn to share the Gospel confidently
  63. Take singing lessons
  64. Direct the Christmas musical in 2011
  65. Stain my dresser to match the rest of my bedroom furniture
  66. Start a writer's group
  67. Knit a scarf
  68. Go to a Bears/Lions Game
  69. Be more like Jesus and pray God blesses me by allowing me to make an enternal difference in the life of one person.
  70. Visit the Pacific Garden Mission - COMPLETED
  71. Be the Agape Volunteer Coordinator for the fundraising dinner - COMPLETED
  72. Go to a blues club - COMPLETED
  73. See Mercy Me in concert - COMPLETED
  74. Teach at Coffee Break - COMPLETED
  75. Faciliate the Agape 2011 Trip - COMPLETED
Let the adventure begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment