Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January is nearly over and I've checked off ...

... one item that I can honestly claim responsibility - visiting the Pacific Garden Mission.  Our garage getting cleaned was one of the items on The List but someone else did this (thanks Bill!) without being asked, so, while I will remove this from The List as done ... I didn't do it.  There, I've been honest.  And while I'm being honest, I am rethinking The List on several fronts.

First, I have 76 items on The List.  The List was created by brainstormingly writing down everything that popped into my head.  At the moment, I thought it might be possible.  Then I realized that while I'm crazy, that is insane even for me.  I've gone through January and have checked off one thing.  And I don't want the things on The List to just get "checked" off.  I want to enjoy all of them and I want the items to create opportunities for missional theophanies.

Secondly, I've come to realize I would be quite sad if I never accomplished some of these items in my life but could live with others never receiving a black checkmark.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the Lord seems to be making some of His own revisions to The List ... so in a sense, The List itself has become a missional theophany.  I'll write more about that and the unexpected events in our life the last few days in the days to come.  Let's just say priorities change when the Lord allows you to unexpectedly participate in Kingdom work.

Now, I am one of those right brain / left brain people.  I dream in color and produce musicals in my head while delighting in creating spreadsheets to find investigative patterns.  So, today, while I waited for an appointment, I spent some time reviewing The List and realized the items broke down into nine categories with many items fitting into two or more categories including Relationships, Creativity, Fun & Fellowship, Health & Wellbeing, Education, Job/Career, Spiritual Growth, Home & Finance and Just Because.  I put the entire list in a spreadsheet and gave a point everytime an item legitimately fit into a category.  I also realized some of these items could change my life while others would just make my life more fun and some were things I kept revisiting for more years than I could count.  Some were both.  So, I added three more columns - meaningful, fun  and on the list - and scored each item accordingly with 5 being major meaningful or fabulous fun or have been on my list or in the back of my head for a long time and 1 being not so much.  Then I added bonus points to any item my husband had specifically requested we do this year.

And so The List meets The Score and I am considering ways to focus accordingly.  A perfect score is 29.  Only one item on the list qualified ... Be More Like Jesus.  Obviously I will never complete my top item ... but I hope to be more like Jesus at the end of the year than I was at the beginning.  As I mentioned, the Lord is revising some of these items and as I consider how to go about accomplishing them I will blog as I go in the days, weeks and months to come.  I will likely accomplish some of the very low scored items much sooner than the higher scored items just because some of easier to do than others.  So, once again ...

Behold ... The List:

Be More Like Jesus
29
Lose 70 pounds
26
Visit Josh and Joanna in Boston
24
Visit Sean and Ena
24
Cook Dinner for all my kids at the same time
24
Discipleship with Debbie
23
Start a Writer’s Group
22
Bible Study w/the Boys
21
Memorize 1 Peter - IN PROCESS
21
Get Published
21
Write a Book
21
Write a Blog - IN PROCESS
21
Memorize 10 Piano Pieces
21
Climb a rock wall
20
Teach at Coffee Break - IN PROCESS
20
Complete a 5K
20
Seeker’s Bible Study for my Neighbors
20
Finish my Degree
19
Host a Open House for my Neighbors
19
Organize a Block Party
19
Wisconsin Dells
19
Learn ASL
19
Learn to share the Gospel confidently
19
Go Backpacking w/Josh
19
Facilitate Agape 2011 Trip - IN PROCESS
18
Spiritually Franchise Friday Dinners
18
Visit India
18
Take a Silent Retreat
18
Visit Pacific Garden Mission - DONE
18
Ravinia with Dan
18
Make Lobster for Dan
18
Book of Ruth with Rose
18
Spin Class with Nicole
18
Makeover after losing 35 pounds
17
Mississippi River Boat
16
See Mercy Me in Concert - IN PROCESS
16
Bears / Lions Game
15
Ballet Lessons
15
Build a Deck/Porch
14
Go Camping
14
B&B Weekend with Girlfriends
13
Clean My Garage - DONE
12
Go Fishing
12
Play Percussion at Church
11
Sears Tower with Dan
11
Finish Beth’s Afghan
10
Go Kayaking
10
Cooking Lessons w/Knife Skills
10
Go on a Picnic
10
Plant an Herb Garden
9
Plant Roses
9
Skate at Millennium Park
9
Learn to Sketch
9
Remodel House Out & Up
9
Learn French
8
Paint my bedroom
8
Build a Nativity for the Front Yard
8
Go to Ann Arbor Art Fair
8
Teach Martell How to Swim
8
Agape Volunteer Coordinator
7
Swimming w/Belugas
7
Direct the Christmas Musical
7
Hip Hop Lessons
7
Shedd Aquarium Tour
7
Renew My Passport
6
Singing Lessons
6
Act in a Drama
6
Prepare an Entire Indian Meal
6
Sing in the Choir
6
Go to a Blues Club
5
Stain my dresser
4
Find a Cello for Bill
4
Build a Greenhouse
4
Knit a Scarf
2
Try Sushi
1
Get a new Sari
1

No comments:

Post a Comment